Saturday, January 12, 2013

Ready. Set. Read!

Although most people have difficulty reading through a book, the fact remains that people who read books on a daily basis are more educated on the words to use and when. People argue that reading is a waste of time and not worth it. Others point out that reading gets an adventure to somewhere away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. I would agree with the book taking you on an adventure. Whether to the past when women wore heavily petticoated dresses, or to the future where everyone has flying cars. Books have a cheap way to go places in the safety of home.
If written well, I feel as if I am in the story going through the actions and feelings of the main character. So in essence, I thoroughly enjoy reading, and getting caught in the plot. The best part when reading a great story is the thrill of seeing the story come together as the book gets thinner on the right side. When life gets boring and cabin fever is getting apparent, pick up a book and go explore the abyss of caves, feel the fluff of the cloud, and wind through your hair.







When a child is into reading, their imagination will soar, along with the fact that they will become more educated and will love life. As I finish books, most objects that I was unsure of, become clearer and I become more knowledgeable of the details of that specific topic. For instance, I just finished a book called Scat. Before I read this book, I didn't know much about the swamps of Florida. I now know that there are many different species of animals and plants. Also the swamps are protected.




Twenty minutes may seem like a long time, yet it is the perfect amount. There is a bunch of things that can be done in twenty minutes. For instance, a picture can be colored, an episode can be watched without the commercials, read a few chapters of a favorite novel, etc. However, since most people are too busy to give up twenty minutes, it is difficult to pick up a book and start to read. Yet reading doesn't always mean pick up a book. Looking at an article from the newspaper or online, looking at someone's blog, and looking through a magazine, all result to reading. Reading twenty minutes is very beneficial to everyday life. Not only does it help with vocabulary, it helps with motor skills and speech also. In school, it also helps with grades, and tests.

As an intern, I notice not only in my kindergarten classroom, but in my school, that when students talk, there is a difference in their speech, just because they do or don't read. I test my students on their site words once a six weeks and I can tell who reads with their parents at home and who don't. For instance, the kids who read at home, do three things. They will either sound out the words, spell them out, or say them as soon as they see the word. However, the kids who don't, usually guess to which word it is, look at one letter then guess a total random word, or wont look at the word and say "I don't know." This becomes a problem later on when the students are to read a chapter for a test or when the student is to read for exercises. So reading is important for everything.

My favorite kinds of books are the semi romantic and the adventurous action. Books like Scat, Hoot, and Flush  allow for an adventure while reading about the act of saving the animals that are being endangered of their homes being taken away. These kind of books help me relate to a few issues while being caught in the moment.  Now if I had the time I would sit down and read a good book by my window.


1 comment: